Travel

Wednesday 8 June 2016

Female tennis player, Maria Sharapova banned for two years!

Female world international tennis player. Maria Sharapova has been banned for two years over drug use  by the International Tennis Federation for testing positive for meldonium at
the Australian Open, which may end the career of the world's richest female athlete of the past decade.

The five-time Grand Slam champion was provisionally suspended by the ITF in early March, when she announced at a news conference in Los Angeles that she failed a doping test in January.

Sharapova claimed she had been taking meldonium since 2006 for heart issues, a magnesium deficiency and because her family has a history of diabetes.

"The ITF tribunal unanimously concluded that what I did was not intentional," the 29-year-old Sharapova said. "The tribunal found that I did not seek treatment from my doctor for the purpose of obtaining a performance enhancing substance. The ITF spent tremendous amounts of time and resources trying to prove I intentionally violated the anti-doping rules and the tribunal concluded I did not.

"You need to know that the ITF asked the tribunal to suspend me for four years -- the required suspension for an intentional violation -- and the tribunal rejected the ITF's position.

"While the tribunal concluded correctly that I did not intentionally violate the anti-doping rules, I cannot accept an unfairly harsh two-year suspension. The tribunal, whose members were selected by the ITF, agreed that I did not do anything intentionally wrong, yet they seek to keep me from playing tennis for two years."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts